Thursday, October 20, 2011

More on BFRBs

I just took a bath and thought about my last post.

My therapist says that perfectionism is what ties OCD and BFRBs together--a sort of perfectionism. I had never thought of my behaviors in this context. My desire to pick and pull stems from a desire to make things smooth, look better, and be more perfect. I would have said relief-seeking was what tied them together, but perhaps relief-seeking is considered to be symptomatic of perfectionism.

In any case, I was thinking about the whole ramblely paragraph in my last post regarding my unwillingness to think things that I don't believe to be true. I just realized that this is symptomatic of a sort of perfectionism: "my thoughts must be logically consistent at all times." Now what do I do with that?

I guess I want to know more about behavioral therapy at this point. Maybe perfectionism isn't something I can easily address directly. Maybe I can only address the problematic behaviors that stem from it--i.e. BFRBs and OCD.

No comments:

Post a Comment