Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Down the Past Couple Days

I've felt really down the past couple days, but I feel like I'm starting to snap out of it. Or at least I hope I am.

I've been taking inositol for 2-3 months and I think I tried to go off of it too quickly. Inositol is a supplement that potentially helps with OCD and anxiety, as well as depression.

I recently read The Anatomy of an Epidemic by Robert Whitaker. He presents a convincing case that antidepressants, as well as other psychiatric drugs, don't work particularly well short-term and long-term actually make outcomes worse. This is because the brain adapts to the increased serotonin and undergoes potentially permanent structural changes to produce less of it. This means that attempting to go off an antidepressant is very difficult because without the medication levels of serotonin drop producing depression. It takes your brain a while to adapt to not having the drug and increase it's production of serotonin. 

Not very much is understood about inositol, but it now seems unwise to consistently mess with my brain chemistry because it may not benefit me in the long term. Anyway, I got impatient. I was thinking every day that I stay on this chemical the harder it will be for me to adapt to being off of it. I kind of rushed my tapering off of it. And now I'm back on it. It's unclear how long it'll take for it to start helping again.

No comments:

Post a Comment